Public Involvement and Engagement Training
The School for Primary Care Research organises an Annual Trainees' Event which has in the past included engagement and involvement training discussions and activities. Your university might also offer involvement and engagement training.
In addition, there are several online training opportunities locally, nationally, internationally and online which are open for researchers from all institutes, and listed below.
- NIHR Biomedical Research Centre (BRC) Cambridge - Patient and Public Involvement Training (Free for students and staff from the NIHR, NHS, UK universities, public sector institutions and registered charities based in the UK.)
- Centre for Ethnic Health Research - Effective Community Engagement
Check back here shortly for further details about upcoming public involvement training sessions.
Online training and courses
Several organisations also have online training modules related to public involvement and engagement. Below are some of the training courses you can sign-up to and go at your own pace.
- Working with People and Communities to Improve Health Outcomes - NHS England (FutureLearn)
- Research Methods: A Practical Guide to Peer and Community Research - King's College London (FutureLearn)
- Public Involvement in Research - Imperial College, London (Coursera)
- The INCLUDE project: Better healthcare through more inclusive research - NIHR Learn
- Achieving public dialogue - The Open University
- Science and society: A career and professional development course - The Open University
- Data tree - research data management and stakeholder engagement - NERC
- Become a Better Presenter: Improve Your Public Speaking Skills - Royal Observatory Greenwich
- Public Engagement training - UCL Public Engagement team
You may also wish to watch some of our own, and our collaborators, previous online training sessions related to public involvement and engagement:
- Building trust and sharing power for co-creation in Aboriginal health research - International PPI Network
- Science Communication: A Visual Perspective - Alda-Kavli Learning Center
- Eleven Principles for Communicating Science to Get Results - Alda-Kavli Learning Center
- Evaluating online engagement - Jamie Gallagher
- Talking Science: An Introduction to Science Communication - Greg Foot
- Matters of Engagement - Podcast series covering various topics relevant to patient and public involvement and engagement
- How to implement a virtual programme for Patient and Public Involvement - NIHR School for Primary Care Research & NIHR Academy
- Stakeholder Engagement in Evidence Synthesis - Collaboration for Environmental Evidence (CEE) Stakeholder Engagement Methods Group
- Engaging and working with young people - NIHR SPCR, NIHR SSCR and NIHR SPHR