Undergraduate Student Internship Programme
I highly recommend the internship. Really grateful for all the support I continue to receive from my supervisors. They’ve encouraged me to push this project all the way to conference presentations and publications."
The School's Undergraduate Student Internship Programme provides students with experience in a research environment and access to a team of specialised mentors and supervisors. The aim of the programme is to address some of the issues identified by the 2016 Health Education England and the Medical Schools Council publication ‘By choice – not by chance’. Primarily, the concerns faced when recruiting medical students to careers in general practice, and the need for greater collaboration to raise the academic profile of general practice.
Two new initiatives were introduced by the SPCR: The Medical Student Prize named after Professor of Academic Primary Care George Lewith, and more recently in early 2018, the Undergraduate Student Internship programme.
After spending time in one of our nine departments over the summer, interns produce a piece of primary care focussed academic work and were given the opportunity to present at the School’s annual showcase event.
Previous INTERNS MENTIONED THESE BENEFITS:
- Being in a research environment
- Interview analysis, working on both quantitative and qualitative studies and an understanding of how they work together to validate findings
- Crystalising statistical and epidemiological knowledge
- Learning how policy is developed, piloted and reviewed
- Using fresh data sets, large data sets and statistical software
- Developing skills in self management and proactively identifying projects
- The opportunity to design and carry out a research study
- To see how primary care researchers divide their time between clinical and academic work
- Valuable insights into the world of academic and epidemiological research
- Working on publications
Continually seeking new opportunities for personal and academic development. Jessica Ying-Yi Xie